The RF, Digital and Hardware Engineering group at Roke is a world centre of excellence, having pioneered many new and ground-breaking technologies over the last 60 years, in domains such as electronic warfare, radar systems, navigation systems, and communications systems. We provide essential capabilities into the defence, national security and commercial sectors. We now have an excellent opportunity for an experienced Digital Design Engineer to join the organisation.
What will your role look like?
As the Digital Design Engineer you will:
- Contribute to and lead the design, development, integration and testing of digital hardware solutions.
- Design of digital circuits and layouts
- Produce high-quality supporting documentation
- Contribute expertise across a broad range of projects
- Develop innovative and cutting-edge solutions
- Responsible to Project Design Authority and Project Manager
- Undertake engineering development tasks to time, budget and quality
- Provide accurate estimates of effort and complexity, and identify risks
- Engage with other technical experts
- Fully comply with Roke’s policies and procedures
- Undertake such other reasonable duties, commensurate with the job holder’s experience and qualifications, as may be required for the smooth operation of the business
What would we like from you?
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Electronics, Physics, Maths)
- Digital Design experience
Have more than 5 years’ experience in at least two of the following disciplines:
- Baseband processing; design, schematic capture and layout of PCBs
- Design of baseband circuitry built round microcontroller/processor/FPGA devices
- Interfacing baseband circuitry with digital and analogue RF systems
- Power supply design experience
- Design for EMC: low radiation and high immunity
- Memory standards: NAND/NOR FLASH, SRAM, DRAM (eg DDR3/DDR4)
- Interface standards (eg I2C, SPI, SMBus)
- High speed digital design (e.g. multi-gigabit serial interfaces) and simulation tools (e.g. Mentor Hyperlynx)
- Clock distribution systems and specification of timing constraints for FPGA interfaces
- Transceiver integration
- Use of RF test equipment (VNA, spectrum analysers, sources)
Additional nice to have experience includes:
- Embedded software experience e.g. C/C++
- Digital signal processing
- Implementation of DSP functions in FPGA
- Experience with SoC FPGAs e.g. Zync
- RF ADC/DAC integration
Deep knowledge of two or more of the following domains would be beneficial:
- Electronic warfare
- GPS and GNSS
- Signals intelligence
- Connected Autonomous Vehicles
- Satellite Communications
Personal Attributes, Values and Competencies:
- Willing and able to pick up new skills quickly
- Innovative: demonstrates the ability routinely to identify alternative approaches to challenging problems, discount inappropriate approaches and select the most appropriate methods without guidance
- Self-starter, showing initiative. Develops and establishes effective organisational methods for assigning managing and tracking work
- Theoretical understanding and experience of helping others develop their knowledge, skills, and attitudes through mentoring and coaching
- Driven to deliver great results
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's site in Romsey, with occasional travel to customer sites. There exists the possibility for you to work on secondment with one of our prestigious customers, should you wish.
What can we offer you?
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including bonus scheme, private medical insurance and pension, along with a whole host of flexible benefits to include flexi-time, travel insurance and dental care.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve a minimum of SC clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years. We will provide assistance transferring your clearance, as well as, pay a high level clearance bonus.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.