We are offering you the chance to be part of something amazing. We use innovation, partnerships, and our 60 years of experience to offer our clients exceptional advice, research, and development. Every day, our people use their passion, skills, and intelligence to make the world a safer place. Why not join us?
What will your role look like?
Our artificial intelligence and machine learning engineers work at the bleeding-edge of modern technology. As this frontier continues to move forwards, we help our clients to solve some of their thorniest problems – providing trusted advice, and dependable solutions. We use our mathematical and technical backgrounds to keep one eye on the latest research coming out of industry and academia, and the other on how we can apply those advances to real-world problems.
Roke will provide you with opportunities to expand your skills in areas such as:
• Neural networks and deep learning with technologies such as Keras, TensorFlow, and PyTorch
• Open source machine learning or data processing toolkits and libraries such as SciKit-Learn, NumPy, Pandas, and SciPy
• Artificial Intelligence for complex visual and audio data
• Computer Vision
• Programming languages to support artificial intelligence and machine learning such as Python, C++, and Lua
What does our Graduate Development Programme look like?
At Roke we recruit some of the best talent the country has to offer. We provide the building blocks necessary for successful integration into the business, as well as the ongoing support to enable our graduate community to fulfil their undoubted potential. That’s why we’ve created a programme that will accelerate individual learning and development while delivering real business value by giving you the time, trust and freedom to take control of your career. This emphasis on experiential learning is supported through initiatives including:
• A mixture of technical and soft skill training to provide you with the skills you need to thrive
• Regular access to senior leaders
• Opportunities to attend external exhibitions/conferences to broaden your industry knowledge
We have a wide range of opportunities in this area so your role will vary depending on your existing experience, our customer needs and your aspirations.
What do we expect from you?
In most cases, we would like a good honours degree in a related subject. However Roke is looking for staff enthusiastic about tackling artificial intelligence and machine learning problems. One way to partially evidence that is an honours degree in a relevant subject – nevertheless, in order to differentiate themselves, all applicants will need to show:
• A demonstrable passion for artificial intelligence, machine learning, or mathematics
• An ability to quickly pick up new tools, frameworks, and languages
• An ability to analyse problems and communicate comprehensive solutions
• An ability to develop new solutions where no pre-existing solution fits
• A willingness and capability to work as part of a team
What additional skills would be useful?
• Understanding and interest in statistical methods
• A familiarity with Linux
Where will you be based?
Your work will typically be located at Roke's sites in either Romsey or Gloucester, with some travel to customer sites and the possibility for you to work on secondment with one of our prestigious customers.
The benefits of working for us include:
• A highly competitive salary, pension and flexible benefits.
• A substantial performance related bonus scheme.
• 25 days annual leave, which can be supplemented up to a further 8 days by Roke’s flexi-leave scheme.
• A generous relocation allowance to help you settle into the local area and your new role.
• Onsite tennis courts, gym (Romsey only) including showers & changing facilities, and fishing rights on the River Test.
• Numerous company events throughout the year, including a summer music festival, bonfire night fireworks and Christmas party.
• Employee led clubs covering numerous sports (including football, climbing, sailing, etc.), cyber security, data science, robotics, gaming, and more.
Diversity and Inclusion
Roke relies on the strength that comes from the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our staff. We all have a responsibility to create an environment where we have the freedom, support, and trust to succeed – where we are encouraged to bring our whole selves to work. Diversity and Inclusion makes life at Roke enjoyable, as you find yourself integrated in teams comprised of a variety of people with ranging backgrounds and experiences. This enables you to interact and connect with individuals, and gather differing perspectives and knowledge that broadens your horizons as a graduate.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve SC and/or DV clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.