Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients.
We are a friendly and flexible team with a culture of ‘time, trust and freedom’. The role may give the opportunity to work on client site, from the office, in shared workspaces or from home as necessary. We pride ourselves on listening to each other’s aspirations and accommodating wherever possible.
The delivery of computing capabilities is changing rapidly with the evolution of Cloud and Edge Computing; and software engineering practices and development methods are evolving to deal with these emerging platforms. In the near future, there is the potential for even greater change in the form of Quantum Computing, non-silicon and neural on chip technologies.
Preserving high-levels of confidence by consistently meeting or exceeding customer expectation in relation to innovation and value creation is paramount, equalled by the need to meet the needs of the business regarding safe and sustainable generation of revenue and profit. Balancing the needs of the customer and the needs of the Business Units (BUs) provides a constant challenge, requiring firm leadership and high-levels of responsiveness to risks and opportunities as they arise.
The Head of Profession for Future Compute Platforms and Software will be Roke’s leading expert in computing platforms and the delivery of software on those platforms. The Head of Profession will define and lead Roke’s technical strategy in this domain.
This is a senior position within Roke that brings together technical leadership, career strategies, best practice and innovation, providing leadership in all these topics across the entirety of the business. The HoP will:
- Work with our Innovation and Campaign Leaders to invent, develop and deliver our future capabilities and market offerings.
- Lead Roke’s software profession including the definition of standards, best practice, technology stacks, tooling and all aspects of our software delivery.
- Develop our Cloud strategy and ensure our development practices, products and service offerings are aligned with our Clients’ strategies.
- Advise on future computing platforms such that Roke develops the skills and capabilities required to maximise our opportunity in these emerging fields.
- Act as the role model for the software engineering and computing technical community. More junior engineers will aspire to achieve this role. The Head of Profession will excite and motivate the technical community through their leadership and contribution.
- Act as an interface between key stakeholders Innovation Director, Innovation Leaders, Heads of Engineering, Head of Technical Delivery, Human Resources, MARCOMMS and the Technical Community
- Promote and build the Roke brand so customers value our honesty and integrity
- Advise the Innovation Director on all aspects of future compute platforms and software.
- Lead the Software and Future Computing Platform technical professions.
- Propose and lead the delivery of innovation tasks aimed at advancing Roke’s technical leadership and differentiating our business.
- Lead partnership activities with business partners and academic institutions. In addition, the HoP will be advise the Innovation Director on Merger & Acquisition activity related to this domain.
Why We Want You
Education and/or experience:
- A technical education and/or qualifications in a relevant field.
- Masters or PHD in computer science or equivalent engineering discipline.
Skills and experience:
- Accomplished technical and business development professional with in depth knowledge of software development in a cloud environment.
- Strong understanding of emerging computer platforms e.g Quantum or neural on chip.
- Experience in providing thought leadership and guidance to key stakeholders.
- Experience in developing complex user requirements and translating them into technical or support requirements.
- Experience of working in, and managing, agile teams and delivering complexity at pace.
- Experience delivering bids and securing both Client and internal funding.
- Accomplished technical speaker able to represent Roke at major client and Industry events.
Why You Should Join Us
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection & Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies & techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be willing and eligible to achieve a minimum of DV clearance. To qualify, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 10 years for DV. For more information about clearance eligibility, please see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance.
High level clearance bonus is available and will be considered on application