Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients.
We are a friendly and flexible team with a culture of ‘time, trust and freedom’. The role may give the opportunity to work on client site, from the office, in shared workspaces or from home as necessary. We pride ourselves on listening to each other’s aspirations and accommodating wherever possible.
The Industry team works regularly in the Healthcare, Aerospace, Automotive, Energy, High Value Manufacturing, Information & Communications, and Rail sectors. Our customers often come to us with niche, challenging problems that matter to their business, looking for experts to develop solutions by applying their experience and knowledge in novel, creative ways. Our projects range from few-month early feasibility studies, through the entire engineering lifecycle, to multi-year support for production-grade software systems, with engineers switching between these in line with their career aspirations and development plans.
Roke are a leading technology & engineering company with clients spanning Consulting and Industry areas. We work alongside our customers to solve their complex and unique challenges
We are expanding our existing capability in AI/ML within the Industry team, and are looking for talented researchers and software engineers with experience in machine learning. The existing team work on diverse challenges across fields such as medical imaging, industrial inspection and natural language processing.
The team are tasked with finding novel solutions to complex and challenging customer problems, along with contributing to research and development activities alongside the wider Roke engineering team.
The existing Industry team is a friendly, flexible group of engineers with a broad range of experience and domain knowledge, who work closely together. Their expertise spans both classical and deep machine learning, natural language processing, computer vision (including multi-camera systems and 3D vision). We apply the best tool available to any problem, but this often means starting with Python and open source frameworks, and building from there.
Areas of Responsibility/Tasks:
- Research and development of machine learning solutions, particularly novel deep learning architectures
- Providing guidance, mentoring and coaching to other engineers across the business
- Providing technical sales support to the business development teams
- Make recommendations to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Writing technical material for competitive bids
- Complying with Roke’s policies and procedures
Why We Want You
Beyond your technical skills, you will be proactive and able to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. You will work well alone or as part of a team. You will be curious and seek out the best approach/solution/tool for the job at hand
Your broad technical, research and software development background will allow you to rapidly understand new systems and domains, and prototype solutions based on your research. As an AI/ML Engineer, you will have a degree level qualification in a STEM subject, or you will have an education and level of experience which is comparable.
Depending on your level of ability/experience, you will have familiarity, competence or expertise in a subset of these areas:
- Experience building machine learning pipelines
- Experience of software development, including software engineering best practices (such as version control and testing)
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to build deep learning models from scratch as well as apply traditional machine learning techniques (desirable)
- Experience using Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration (particularly GitLab CI) and pair programming to produce robust, reliable software (desirable)
- Experience working in Python and using frameworks such as scikit-learn, Tensorflow and PyTorch (desirable)
- Cross-platform development experience (Windows/Linux), including GUI development (for example, using Qt) (desirable)
- Experience writing reports and documentation using tools such as LaTeX (desirable)
Why You Should Join Us
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects
- You’ll be supported in developing your existing skillset with mentoring and training
- You’ll get to work with exciting technologies
- You’ll be joining a great team, who have actively embraced hybrid working
- You’ll be able to work flexibly, from the office or from home, as necessary, with some visits to client sites
- You’ll be able to work your hours each week, flexibly to suit you.
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection & Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies & techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be willing and eligible to achieve a minimum of BPSS clearance.