Roke is a world-class technology and engineering consultancy. Roke delivers advanced research, development services and products to high profile customers who come to Roke with varied and challenging problems to solve.
Given the nature of Roke’s business, personnel security and vetting play a fundamental role in our ability to deliver customer work. This not only includes administration of our vetting systems and ensuring everyone has the correct security clearance levels, but also strong links to our People and HSE directorate to ensure we are providing a full ‘personnel security’ function.
The Vetting Officer role ensures that the day to day processing and upkeep of all clearances and information is [processed within a timely manner. This critical role provides continuity for the vetting function, reporting into the Vetting Manager and sitting within the wider Corporate Services Directorate.
Job Purpose & Key Responsibilities
- Administer Secure Vetting life cycle in accordance with HMG/Authority procedures.
- Processing and recording of all Vetting applications/ Clearances for Permanent employees, contractors and associates.
- Monitoring of existing clearance expiries
- To carry out aftercare to healthily maintain all types of Security Clearance
- Ensure all Vetting requests are recorded and actioned in a timely and efficient manner
- Provide support and advice for all types of Vetting (BPSS, SC, ESC, DV,EDV)
- Deliver a first class Security Clearance administration process including verification of internal and external clearances
- Provide a first line support service to colleagues and managers
- Liaise with external agencies in the provision of Security Clearances, with adhoc travel to external parties who manage areas of the external process
- Deputise for Vetting Manager where directed
- To be responsible for in–house training arising with new staff or Vetting systems
- Observance of the Official Secrets Act
- Always fully comply with Roke’s policies and procedures
- Undertake such other reasonable duties, commensurate with the job holder’s experience and qualifications, as may be required for the smooth operation of the business
Education and Qualifications
- A Level
- You will ideally have previous expertise within a Personnel Security Vetting Role, experience within a public sector security with knowledge of the UK vetting process would be a distinct advantage for this role.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Do they need any specific industry experience? Do they need knowledge of specific systems?
- Understanding of General Data Protection Regulation.
- Must be able to act in the strictest confidence when dealing with Secure Vetting
- Attention to detail is paramount
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- An ability to challenge and negotiate when confronted with problematic situations
- An ability to work under time constraints
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Ability to prioritise & deliver accurate results to tight deadlines
- An ability to work under pressure
- To exceed the expectations of internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to work in team environment whilst working on own allocated work
- Maintain effective working relationships with Vetting Agencies
- Provide accurate information to all stakeholders
- Provision of consultancy advice to the business and appropriate external stakeholders
- Handling of Government Protectively Marked Material
- Produce reports to deliver to senior management as and when required
- To work across function with all areas of the business
Why should you join us?
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection & Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies & techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve SC and EDV clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years for SC and 10 years for DV.